Sign In / Sign Out
- ASU Home
- My ASU
- Colleges & Schools
- Map & Locations
RSVP Today! https://www.facebook.com/events/250073092120686/
Saturday, April 8, 2017, 12:00 p.m.
- Do Not Resist (1 hour and 12 minutes). Police forces across America have become increasingly militarized in our post 9/11 society. Filmed across 11 different states in the U.S., Do Not Resist takes a closer look at the practices of America's police forces. From the weapons they use to the cars they drive, the filmmakers expose how rapidly militarization has taken over America's police. Coupled with complicated race issues and class warfare, Do Not Resist examines the nexus of America's policing, political climate, and race relations.
- Concerned Student 1950 (32 min). Racism in the United States is complicated issue that is not solely limited to policing. Race issues on college campuses are becoming increasingly more publicized. None is more clear than in the case of an activist group called Concerned Student 1950, whose peaceful protests and political activism caused a University of Missouri president to step down. The documentary takes a look at what it is like to be a black student on a college campus in the American South East, where racial tensions are at their highest. The film examines the power of passionate and motivated young people who want to make their world into what they believe it can be by channeling their anger and hurt into a cause worth believing in.
- Dr. Rashad Shabazz – Shabazz's academic expertise brings together human geography, Black cultural studies, gender studies, and critical prison studies. His research explores how race, sexuality and gender are informed by geography. His most recent work, Spatializing Blackness (University of Illinois Press, 2015) examines how carceral power within the geographies of Black Chicagoans shaped urban planning, housing policy, policing practices, gang formation, high incarceration rates, masculinity and health. Shabazz's scholarship has appeared in Souls, The Spatial-Justice Journal, ACME, Gender, Place and Culture and Occasions and he has also published several book chapters and book reviews.
- Director of Do Not Resist – [To Be Confirmed]
- Directors of Concerned Student 1950 – [To Be Confirmed]
- [Other speaker To Be Confirmed]
- 12:30-1:45 p.m. Screening of Do Not Resist
- 1:45-2:15 p.m.: Post-film Discussion of Do Not Resist
- 2:15-2:45 p.m.: Screening of Concerned Student 1950
- 2:45-3:15 p.m.: Post-film Discussion of Concerned Student 1950