Sign In / Sign Out
- ASU Home
- My ASU
- Colleges & Schools
- Map & Locations
RSVP Today! https://www.facebook.com/events/386842318368152/
Friday, April 7, 2017, 4:00 to 6:30 p.m.
- Clinica de Migrantes (Run time: 39 min 34 sec). Puentes de Salud is a volunteer-run clinic that provides free medical care to undocumented immigrants in south Philadelphia. Here, doctors and nurses work for free to serve people who would otherwise fall through the cracks. Clinica de Migrantes, a potent film by Maxim Pozdorovkin, follows the workers and patients of Puentes through months of routine care and growth. Along the way, the film puts a face to the millions of people who exist on the margins of society: people displaced from their homelands, separated from their families, unfamiliar with the customs, unable to obtain health insurance and terrified to come forward to seek medical help. Along with revealing these patient stories, Clinica is also a look at the heroic doctors and nurses who work pro bono to ensure these people receive care, offering a deeply moving look at the limitless potential of humanity.
- Immigrants for Sale (Run time: 33 min 9 sec). The detention of migrants has become a multi-billion dollar industry in which immigrants are sold to the highest bidder and traded like mere products. The Corrections Corporation of America, The Geo Group, and the Management and Training Corporation run over 200 facilities all over the nation. These facilities offer over 150,000 bed spaces and rake in a total profit of close to five billion dollars per year. The fact that these detention centers get paid for the number of people that are in the center per night offers, therefore, no incentive to speed up the legal processes and let the detainees leave the facility.
- Maxim Pozdorovkin, Director, Clinica de Migrantes. Maxim Pozdorovkin is an award-winning filmmaker who also directed and produced the feature-length documentaries Pussy Riot: A Punk Prayer and The Notorious Mr. Bout. He holds a PhD from Harvard University and is a junior fellow at the Harvard Society of Fellows. He appeared on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart on June 3rd, 2013.
- Michael Green, Assistant Clinic Director, PACH Clinic (Phoenix Allies for Community Health), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit providing free primary healthcare to marginalized communities in the greater Phoenix area.
- Gina Mendez, Community Organizer for Living United for Change in Arizona (LUCHA), a dynamic, membership-led, grassroots organization, building power with Arizona’s working families to advance social, racial and economic justice for all. LUCHA supports migrant workers and migrant rights initiatives, and provides resources targeted to this population. Through leadership development, grassroots campaigns, advocacy and civic engagement, LUCHA seeks to create an Arizona in which every person (regardless of residency status/ gender/ ability/ etc.) enjoys equal rights, opportunities, and protections.
- 4:00-4:40 p.m.: Screening of Clinica de Migrantes
- 4:45-5:15 p.m.: Discussion with Pozdorovkin and Green
- 5:15-5:50 p.m.: Screening of Immigrants for Sale
- 5:50-6:20 p.m.: Discussion with LUCHA